Achieving a specific glass design will largely depend on specificity of project, but is typically conducted using a number of methods. Two of the most commonly used techniques are acid etching and sandblasting glass. Both of these methods can be used in tandem or isolation to achieve the desired result. In some circles however, these two glass design techniques are conflated. But we’re here to set the record straight.
Today, we bring it back to basics in answering the question: What’s the difference between acid etched and sandblasted glass?
Comparing and Contrasting Acid Etched and Sandblasted Glass
The Key Similarities
- Both methods are abrasive in technique, achieving a distinct frosted glass appearance
- Both methods can be used to achieve differing levels of opacity – perfect for applications that require a certain degree of privacy
- Both methods can be used in tandem to achieve a desired decorative glass result
The Key Differences
- The sandblasting method utilizes a high-speed machine that blasts into the depths of the glass with an abrasive material (typically sand, walnut shells, etc.)
- Sandblasting allows for more precision in comparison to acid etching
- The acid etching method involves the application of an acid on the surface of the glass to achieve the desired appearance
- The final result of acid etching is typically smoother than sandblasting, and allows for a larger range of finishes and level of transparency than standard sandblasting techniques
Which Technique Reigns Supreme?
The answer to this question is not as simple as selecting one over the other. Both techniques offer benefits and deciphering which technique reigns supreme will depend on the specificity of the decorative glass project – i.e. if your project requires multiple fluctuations in opacity, it might be best to opt for acid etching; or if your project design requires a higher degree of complexity – you might want to adopt the sandblasting technique due to its precision.
Looking for Decorative Glass Services in Toronto?
Blast Design Ltd. is an experienced provider of sandblasted glass in Toronto. We are committed to delivering high quality product and excellent customer service. We utilize a variety of techniques to bring your glass design project to life! Call us today to learn more about the services we offer.